What's New In the Lab?
It was wonderful to host Prof. Jean-Pierre van Helden (IPT Greifswald and University of Greifswald) when he visited Queen's on August 8th, 2017. Before giving a seminar on cavity-enhanced spectroscopy and its application to plasma science, he had a chance to travel through the 1000 Islands on a scenic boat cruise.
Although traditional 3D fluorescence spectroscopy is a powerful analytical technique, it is also notoriously slow, making it inappropriate for kinetic studies. Our paper presents a much faster way to collect 3D fluorescence measurements, using Hadamard 'barcodes' to encode a white light source and the corresponding fluorescence signal. In this work, we used a submersible fiber-probe to measure both the degradation kinetics of spinach extract in acid, and the thermal degradation kinetics of rhodamine B.
We speculated that "30% chance of rain" means 70% chance of not getting soaked. Luck was against us, but we had fun (including "type-2 fun"), anyway. The all-day adventure ended in a pub - as indeed all good adventures do!